1.4.11

Schmoozefests


                                                                                       Good MORNING InterWebs -
    Yesterday I went and got my schmooze on at an endowment dinner for the College of Engineering. When I arrived, I was in a fussy, whiny mood. I walked into the reception and, of course, was one of three girls in a sea of boys. All I could think about was how I didn't like wearing pantyhose, talking to people I don't know is awkward, and I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I HATE schmoozing and wine-ing and dining and small talking, mostly.   But then, once dinner began, we got to hear more about our scholarship donors. These people who, in times of economic crisis, gave even more because they wanted to help. These benefactors who have such a great love for this school and believe in its work and its students would give and entrust their own money to future engineers. How blessed I am! I realized, as I sat there nibbling on my mozzarella [but NOT the tomatoes], that I had been a colossal brat. If these people are willing to "invest" in me, as the keynote speaker mentioned, then for goodness' sake, I will show them gratitude! 
{DIGRESSION: Pictured above is what I wore. I know I've mentioned my mustard wool skirt about five times (here, and here), so I thought I'd take a picture for you.  Even if I do look incrediAwkward. }  
       And once I saw how great an honor this dinner was, it started to get fun. Afterwards, I got the head of my department to introduce me to the Dean of the College of Engineering! Are. You. Kidding. Me. 
    I talked to the Dean about mojitos, working hard and playing harder, women in engineering, and...well, Webs, I'll let you in on a little secret. One of my opportunities, the one I'm really praying about, is near and dear to the Dean's heart. Still praying and hoping that everything works out (Phil 4:6)

Also - he wanted me to look up this youtube video: Beethoven's fifth set to salsa music. ENJOY - per the dean of the college of engineering! wuttttt.



---------------------------------------------------


AND, to continue the series on encouragement:
This is a postcard I found in Germany about four years ago. It is the very first thing I tape/hang/post around my room whenever I go somewhere - I love it. 


"Keine ist so wie du"

No one is like you.

Someone scribbled this on a telephone pole in Germany. Romantic that I am, I find it intriguing.  I sit there and think about unrequited love and how some lonely heartbroken boy thought of a beautiful girl and wrote her a telephone-pole love note because he missed her so so much....or something to that effect.  Of course, I once had a friend tell me that perhaps I misunderstood and maybe it really says, "No one likes you." I promise you, that isn't what it says.

No one is like you.

-bRob

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...