5.4.11

Officially Official Summer Plans

InterWebs -
    I left you a little teaser a few days ago about my summer plans.


I'll go ahead and explain now that everything has come together. I was originally scheduled to go to Germany for my third Co-op rotation this summer. However, for a while, when things looked iffy, I went ahead and applied for a research position at the amazing University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez (where, as I hinted here, our dean attended and taught for a little while) as sort of a fall-back.


I found out a week ago that I had been selected for my number one research project in Puerto Rico...and then realized that this was going to be a VERY tough decision.


However, when I called to follow up with my co-op, it turns out that everything had gone according to plan, I would be working with my original team members, and they were definitely planning on my going. I realized that I could not in good conscience bail on this group that has done so much for me!


I would be lying if I didn't tell you I am not more than a little bit heartbroken and disappointed about missing out on Puerto Rico. It would have been beautiful - living at the beach, playing in the sun, chillaxing with other students, and I would have loved to get some hands-on research experience with a renowned professor. However, I have been praying and praying and pestering God about this opportunity, and yesterday the Lord put this verse on my mind:


 Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'... 
-Matthew 5:37


While, contextually speaking, this verse is focused on swearing (by earth or by heaven or what have you), it speaks to the importance of one's word. My group was already under the impression that I was going to Deutschland, and I want my yes to mean yes. I hate the idea of going against my word and acting in a manner that is not glorifying to Him, and of course I would hate to poorly represent my school. I truly believe that your word and integrity are sometimes the only things you've got, and they're so precious.


SO. This summer will be spent in MUNICH. And, though it came with a significant opportunity cost...I am STOKED.


Plus - I just found out one of my favorite coworkers, a sweet girl a bit older than I am, is going to be in Germany too!


And also, I'll get to hang out with this chica again! I haven't seen her in 4 years!



ok sooooo it's not a great photo. But that's my exchange partner from high school, Lena.

And I will be travelling through Europe and seeing awesome things...


Munich


Schwaldorf

Schwaldorf


Rottenburg

Rottenburg? Bin nicht sicher...

Stuttgart?

These are from my first trip to Germany about four years ago.

You can bet your sweet bippy that I will be investing in a new, non-junktastic camera for this adventure, and I will probably update my blog all. the. time.

And maybe I'll finally be able to find a beer that I don't think is the most disgusting thing in the world...



(...this picture was from four years ago. Let's just leave it at that. A person can do a lot of growing [into her ears/face] in four years.)


-bRob


PS - I just noticed that this post has an exclamation point overload. My! ba!d!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! (+1 exclamation mark)

    When are you leaving? And how long are you going to be there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually not sure quite yet. Everything is pretty "fluid" right now, but I'd honestly be willing to go as soon as school gets out. Viva la Munich!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...