17.5.11

Farewells Are Never Too Dramatic


Especially if I'm saying farewell to my sweet little nuggets, Mariella and McFly. Because I'm headed to Die Mutterland in a week or two, I had to find alternate housing for my rodents this summer. 

My two little babies. 

I tried to bond with them a little bit before I dropped them off at their foster home. It didn't go super well. They don't really like being handled an awful lot, and jury's still out on whether or not they even like me. I fed them too many treats [I'm ok with buying my rats' love], let them run around on my bed a little, tried to scratch their tiny heads.

Mariella pooped on me, and McFly just kept trying to escape. 
How do I tell these guys that we don't have that much time together? How do I let them know they won't see me for a while, but it'll all be okay?

And then a wave of worry washed over me:
What if they are too scared of their new home to eat?

What if they become lethargic and depressed and just sit in the corner of their cage?





What if they forget about me? What if I get back and they love their new mummy way more than they love me?



What if McFly bites my face off [again] because he doesn't recognize me when I get back?










I found a sweet girl with a rat of her own who offered to babysit for me this summer. I know they're in good hands. I do.

But I was still a little forlorn after I dropped them off. I wish there was some way I could tell them things. 
Sorry - Mariella can be a tricky little photography subject.
Here's what I would tell them:
Eat your food.
Exercise on your wheel.
Be happy.
Bite the kitty-cat if he comes too close, but don't be afraid of him.
Be sweet to your foster mommy.
Miss me just a little bit.
Mariella - try not to tinkle where you drink your water.
McFly - take care of Mariella. You know how dopey and blind she can be.

I'll come back for you guys, don't worry.
This is only temporary.






 I love you guys.




The most appropriate and underplayed goodbye song ever.

-bRob

3 comments:

  1. :( so saddening. I don't know if I could part with Micke and Laiva, even for just the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it was hard! I didn't expect to be such a sap about it, but every time I walk into my room now I hurt a little when I don't see them glaring at me for disturbing their naptime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh, a lot. But let me just say that if one of those creatures bit me in the face, I would feed it to my dog.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...