27.4.11

Hipster Nonsense

I love indie, singer-songwriter, alternative music. I really do. Throw in a banjo or a ukelele and you've won me - heart and soul. But I absolutely balk at the idea of sitting through weird awkward concerts in pretentious coffee shops/bistros or dirty warehouses, and I just don't have it in me to fork over the money I am currently not earning to go to some over-priced crowded music festival held in a muddy field that reeks of marijuana and outhouses and hippy-dom.

In the words of Liz Lemon from 30 Rock, that's just "hipster nonsense!" (I tried really hard to find a clip of this on youtube, but apparently no one else thought it was as hysterical as I did.)

Surprisingly, however, commercials have come  a long away in the past decade and are now featuring a lot of singer-songwriter music.Cause I love you, InterWebs, Imma hook you up and list some of the cooler commercials. PS - I can't take credit for all of this  - some friends have shown me some of this stuff as well. 

You've probably heard this song before:
artist: Joe Purdy
song: Can't Get it Right Today




This one is my all-time favorite. Heads up, future hubster: you should learn how to play this on the guitar and sing it to me when you propose. That's not ridiculous, is it?
artist: Kyle Andrews
song: You Always Make Me Smile





While this isn't my favorite song here, it is really great, and this is  my favorite commercial. Oh my goodness it's so adorable.
artist: M.Ward
song: Here Comes the Sun Again




artists: Daniel Johnson and Brie Stoner
song: Don't Fence Me In




too sweet.
artist: Jesse Harris
song: The Secret Sun




I know you know this one.
artist: Amos Lee
song: Sweet Pea




artist: Joe Purdy
song: Wash Away




Ok I lied. THIS may be my favorite. Sorry - I couldn't find the original commercial.
artist: Basia Bulat
song: Before I Knew


Subaru has the winningest commercials. I would buy a subaru.  =)


Television shows are getting better soundtracks now, too...have you noticed that? While some continue to play "Sweet Home Alabama" and Katy Perry's "Firework" on loop, a lot of television shows are playing crazy cool artists. Grey's Anatomy soundtracks (freaturing artists like Brandi Carlile and Joe Purdy and KT Tunstall) are always really bomb, and Scrubs was decent, too, before it went and got cancelled (I'm still hurting about that one).

Anyways - what did I miss? Have you heard any other good music on the tube recently?
-bRob





3 comments:

  1. Grey's Anatomy always puts these really heartrending songs at the saddest part of the episode. I'm pretty sure they have some sort of weepiness maximization algorithm they use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one I don't really like is the "Don't Fence Me In."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - that one's a little weak, but I think it's pretty cool that they're using independent artists for their music. And you recommended half these songs anyways...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...