19.2.11

The Bizarre Daydreams of a 10-year-old

     Oh, are you still here, InterWebs? I'm sorry I left you waiting. I still love you, no worries. You're the best internet friend I've got, Webs. I may update my facebook status as if it were a Twitter feed, but, really, you're more important. Honest.
     This week has been ... not as bad as last week, but I've been trying to be more diligent about my work. Following a clear schedule, not waiting to the last minute, prioritizing (ie NOT blogging instead of doing my simulations hw), using Google calenders to plan every minute of my life (I have sleep planned from 2:30-6:00)....you think I'm joking, but my life flows according to Google. Well, in theory. I actually keep hitting snooze and oversleeping and not making any of my planned study sessions. I'll let you know how next week goes.
 
Maybe you're wondering about the curious title of this post. Are you, InterWebs? Sure.
I warn you that the rest of this post is really weird.
 

    I daydream a lot. Like, all the time. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or secretly proud of my awesome imagination...probably embarrassed, since I'm no longer in elementary school. I was chillaxing in my room this afternoon with the window open and a breeze blowing (thank-you, early Spring :), and I suddenly remembered this bizzare-o fantasy I had as a little kid. And I'm going to share it with you.

    When I was young, I used to daydream about living in this isolated, quiet, beautiful hotel [ie, not a Marriott/Hampton/whatever, not filled with honeymooners, no obnoxious people, and lots of food]. I would have my own sweet little hotel room with a white desk and bed set near a big window. If I remember correctly, the hotel had turrets, kind of like a castle. It was perched on the beach, but the beach didn't have any sand. Instead it had lots and lots of dark black rocks.They weren't the kind that cut your feet - they were smooth, round, black rocks, maybe like the kind you'd find at the bottom of a river.
    And the hotel, which was simple and large, sat right on top of these rocks at the very edge of the ocean. Behind the hotel, kind of enveloping it, were lots and lots of tall dark trees. Evergreen-y trees. And above that was a wide gray sky. Gray and silent. Not stormy, but just gray. I think gray, gloomy-looking skies are the best.
A real live picture of a castle turret. I took it myself.
    I figured all of my friends would live in hotel rooms somewhere close to mine....and I'm pretty sure I had made up a boyfriend to live somewhere in the isolated hotel as well [on another floor, of course]. We probably skipped along the rocky beach together, holding hands and doing whatever it is ten-year-olds do. Probably mermaid-watching. {I mean, I was 10...there were almost certainly mermaids in this daydream.}

But, I distinctly remember the solitude of it all. I think there's a certain romanticism (romance?) to gray skies and peace and quiet. Or maybe I'm just an introverted granny at heart.
   It is absolutely bizarre that I remembered this dream after so many years. And it kind of appeals to me again. But, as lovely as my isolated hotel on the beach/in the forest might be, I think it might bore me now. At this age, I simultaneously seek relaxation and to keep busy.

Is there ever a relaxing sort of busy?

over and out,
bRob

PS- just for the record, I love my family. I think I just felt like living at a hotel would be one never-ending sleepover with my own bathroom and good cable. Shortsighted, I know.
PPS - In my next life I want to be an artist, so these amazing daydreams can be properly documented. Hah.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...