12.1.11

Sweet Tea and Truth

Hey-o, InterWebs. I've started school now. It's crazy hectic, and I complain a lot, but, you know what, InterWebs? I kind of love it anyways.


     I'm at the point where I don't actually know what classes I'm taking anymore or what they're about - I just sign up for course numbers.  I'm kinda scared, because I have one homework assignment  for some class (called something) due the exact same day as the first class. Uh-oh. Guess who needs to start teaching herself whatever it is that class is about? bRob. Here's a picture of why I won't be able to feed my rats for the next year: The objects in this picture amount to a sum greater than $650. PERSONAL PIC of the day >



On a much less trivial, way awesome-r note, a sweet friend of mine gave her life to Christ this week! Hooooo-rah. This precious friend's life is going to change so much. It is my prayer that her Christian brothers and sisters will surround her and let her know what a big deal this really is.
    Perhaps you're wondering what I mean when I say, "gave her life to Christ." It sound like another hokey Bible Belt colloquialism, right? And that, in a way, is what it has become. Everyone has "given his/her life to Christ" once you've gone south of the Mason-Dixon line. You drink sweet tea and go to church and you believe in God.
"You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder." James 2:19

  Believing in God ain't nothin' special. Lots of people do it. It's an intellectual fact to believe in God. It costs you nothing. Believing in God/Jesus will not save you, in and of itself. To truly receive salvation, you have to be a follower of Christ.  But who follows Christ? From the gospels, we see a group of men [and some women, too!] who were called to follow Jesus and earnestly sought His teachings. Many left their lives [jobs, families, hometowns] behind in order to study under the ultimate Rabbi. And God asks the same of you. There is a prevailing theme in the New Testament that one must die to his flesh before he can gain Christ.

[ Mark 8:34-35  “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it."]

You are flesh and sin, at your core. And one day, you'll find out how empty you are. You'll see the earth for the gross, broken place it is. And, hopefully, you'll recognize that God can bring you out of the broken mess (Psalm 103:4).  And you'll accept Jesus' atonement for your sins, and the Holy Spirit will  set up  camp inside of you.  And from that day forth, you and the Holy Spirit are going to team up to fight your flesh (Romans 8). For we die to ourselves and are resurrected as new creations (2 Cor 5:17).
      Followers of Christ accept a will that is far greater (pleasing and perfect) and far different  than that of their flesh.  Sometimes it hurts - not everyone will agree with your life or support you.You'll feel ostracized, at times. But Jesus did, too. He accepted rejection and the world's hatred because He loved you.
   So what greater honor than to live as He did? There is hope, you have purpose, and you are redeemed. You will one day leave these lusts behind for paradise.You are a child of truth, adopted by a Father who will never leave you ("He remains faithful, even when we are faithless.")  And if our God is for us, then who can ever stop us? He will shower you with His affection and blessings, so let the world wreak its havoc. You are in the hand of the God who conquered death.

Anyways - all of this - this long post- was my way of saying that my friend has done something phenomenal. . Angels are rejoicing, and God is so stoked that she has called Him father. And I hope you'll stop and pray and rejoice for her!

This verse amazed me this week: For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
(1 Cor 13:12)
 I am fully known. And one day I'll know Him clearly.

-bRob

PS - i slid in the ice and fell today. Twice. As someone tried to help me up from the first fall, I fell again and spilled tea in my hair.

PSS - today I am thankful for string cheese. It's the bombinist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...