29.5.11

Toilet Brushes

I don't understand why toilet brushes don't have longer handles.
   
          Or aren't ergonomic.

                     Or  are so splashy.    .


moving on.

"Colorado bRob" - what my Dad dubbed my post-Colorado can-do-anything persona

Once upon a time, I worked in Colorado. I learned a lot that summer - about people and how to deal with them, 

how to backpack 









 how to hide in the best hiding places  where little children can't find you








                   

           
                how to negotiate with seven-year-olds






how to sweet-talk little girls into not crying












 how to properly climb up a mini-glacier









how to repel & belay 

how to get the leisurely [slow] group, including one ornery 10-year-old cuss, up a mountain



and how to be hardcore.



Having been completely engrossed in the world of academia for the past three years since, I forgot that I can do things besides accidentally get papercuts while opening textbooks and drink insane amounts of coffee.

But when I had to move my  bookshelf down three flights of stairs last week in the sweltering heat with only the help of my little grandma, I was reminded that I can still be hardcore.
[that never-ending, multi-claused sentence looks German]

I carted heavy rafts and obnoxious children around for a summer - 
I can do difficult, taxing things now, too.

God makes us to be these dynamic, multi-faceted and capable creatures, 
but sometimes I put myself in a weak and nerdy academic box.


Moral of this soliloquy: 

bRob = 1, bookshelf = owned.

- Colorado bRob

2 comments:

  1. You have successfully taken the lessons learned from your physical challenges and applied them to your intellectual challenges. The whole "Never Give Up, Never Surrender" from Mt Elbert has enabled you to keep fighting for your academic success even when things didn't look so good.

    To many people never take up any challenge. They merely "drift like a plastic bag blowing in the wind." Then they expect others to take care of them and whine when they don't get what they think they deserve.

    Then, some undertake a physical challenge, but never go any further. We all know the cliche about the high school football star that keeps reliving the glory season well into his 60's. They never comprehend that the physical challenge is a means to an end, not the end.

    When we undertake a physical challenge, we force ourselves to rely and God and place ourselves in a position to learn a life lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i laughed loudly for about 12 minutes straight when i realized you quoted Katy Perry.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...