21.4.11

Museums

Calder, National Gallery of Art


I hated museums growing up. Oh good heavens how I hated them. And my mom would drag me to history museums, and my dad would drag me to science and aerospace museums. [this next sentence will sound cool if you read it with a british accent] Sorry, mummy and daddy, but I couldn't stand those museums. It was almost as terrible as my mom taking me to the zoo on the free day they had every summer. I figured the zoo was pretty much the most miserable place ever. All that walking, all those lame animals sleeping, and all that...hot. I only liked the puffin exhibit. The puffins were the zoo's only redeeming quality.

However, I kind of found my museum niche with art museums...especially modern art museums. I took A.P. art history in high school. I like to remind my family and friends of that any time we go anywhere.  After all, a one-eyed man in  a village of blind people is king. For five minutes, I actually wanted to be an art history major. Anyways - I never thought I could enjoy modern art. It isn't so easy to follow, and a lot of it is straight-up weird. But I really love it. It's bold and bright and makes a statement. Though 99% of the time, I don't know what that statement is.

But I'm really just writing this so I can share with you Molly's take on museums:

"Gah you sound like my mother. My parents love museums. No, literally. Anything with the word museum on it. One time, we were driving to the mountains, and we HAD to stop to go to a rock museum. And I was like, 'Well, I like rock music. Ok.' But no. It was chunks ...of rock. And then my parents got a pamphlet and kept talking about it."


-bRob

PS. I am grateful my parents did things with me, like museum-ing. Honest. I still don't like 80% of all museums, though.

2 comments:

  1. The ending of this link relates sort-of-ish to this post (and it has to do with Tina Fey!!):
    http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/2011/04/16/tina-feys-prayer-for-a-daughter-a-must-read-for-any-parent-or-those-who-have-had-one/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah - my parents told me every other day growing up that they couldn't WAIT until I was a parent and had to deal with a kid like me. I'm beginning to understand a little bit about what they meant.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...