11.3.11

Entrust-ingmentation?

Do you ever do that, InterWebs? Just keep adding suffixes to a word until it sounds right-er? I do. Obvs.

Anyways - I wanted to write a post about entrusting. And I thought about employing that wonderfully over-used device in which I look up the dictionary definition of "entrust" and put it in bold, italics, and all caps at the beginning of this post, centered, of course, so you would sit there and ruminate on the Merriam-Webster version of entrust (which, btw, is "to commit to another with confidence"...oops, I caved!). But I mostly avoided this cliche, if only because I think it's kind of corny. Still - focus on the word entrust.

   Have you ever suffered? Clearly, this is probably a really stupid question with a fairly obvious answer. Of course you have. We live in a broken world where pain exists and things hurt sometimes. But how do you handle it?

I was dealing with my own suffering the other day, and I wanted tangible advice - what is it we're supposed to do when we cannot get past our pain? Tons of people will tell you tons of things about dealing with suffering. "Give it up to God." "Let it go." "Deal with it." [<<< that's what the less nurturing people might say.... that, or "Yeah, that really sucks." My friends could stand to be a little more encouraging. hah.]
    And if you're anything like me, half the time you'll roll your eyes and give a curt but polite thank-you and then continue to dwell on how difficult your life is. 

    The fallacy lies in the assumption that one simple action, pattern of thought, or prayer will always eliminate suffering. As if it is a one-time thing.. But that's not always the way it works. What happens, when, the day after you've given your hurt up to the Father, it still hurts? The thorn in your side still remains?
Maybe, if you're prone to melodrama, like me, you'll find yourself in the throes of despair.

But I feel like the Lord, who knows our hearts, has to have words for those of us who suffer? Truths that will get us through the long-haul, not a cute quick-fix pick-me-up that might get you through the day.
And I was flipping  through the pages of my Bible, the Lord directed me to a passage about His Son.

"...and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously."
- 1 Peter 2:23

I seriously doubt you or I have suffered at the same magnitude as Jesus Christ. In fact, my definition of "suffering" is probably pretty pitiful outside of safe and comfortable suburbia. But Jesus is our supreme example for how we should act, yes? So, if this is His response to suffering, are we called to anything less?

Peter makes it clear that entrusting is not a one-time thing, but a habit. KEEP entrusting.

And to whom? To Him who judges righteously.

So then, it's a daily thing. Keep entrusting. Keep committing your situation to the Father. When you're sick of it, when you're tired, when you're burnt out, habitually entrust. Entrust daily - pray it each day, or maybe each hour, if that's what you need to do. And remember that you are NOT entrusting to just anyone. But rather Him who judges righteously, fairly, justly.

-bRob

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...