28.1.11

Our Nation's Future

Is us, InterWebs. Not you and me, Webs, but the us in this picture >>>. Hahah, ok, but seriously, we're legit. Today we had a sand casting lab, and it was so fun[ish. I mean, it is a lab; let's not get carried away].

May I just say, InterWebs, that I love my major? WHO gets to do stuff like this? We get to simulate, program, machine, design workstations and systems, design fake wheel hubs (see pics) and so much more.

Trying to figure out how to get the mold out.
It didn't fare too well...
BUT the top half did  - we figured out a really great technique for preserving the sand mold.


 Chelsea pours the molten metal. She really digs this outfit.

Metal isn't actually supposed to flow out of the sides of our sand...
Lots of flash. Woops. Once we machine it it won't look too too bad.

Believe it or not, this wasn't the worst part in the class. Actually, the part itself doesn't look too bad - you can see the design!


Lest ye judge - just know sand casting is super ridiculous. It is not a sustainable process, it takes entirely too long, and a design with any amount of detail is pretty much guaranteed to come out looking like a blob. But as far as blobs go, I kind of like ours.

Ok, InterWebs. It's about bedtime. I was in the library until 4am a couple of nights ago. Are you so impressed by my incredible academic stamina? Before you are overwhelmed with awe, just know that staying in the library until 4am is NEVER called for...it is the result of procrastination. I swore this semester would be different... Here begins the stream of almost all-nighters. You know, when you are too good for an all-nighter, so you get at least 1.5 hours of sleep instead.

 By the way - not sleeping makes you hungry. Ravenous, even. My body is going to reject me at any moment...

-bRob


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. I hit F5 repeatedly until someone comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...